Russian church in Yerevan

Text and Photos Garegin Aleksanyan

 

SurbAstvatsatsin Russian Church is in the Kanaker district of Yerevan.It is considered to bethe main temple of the Russian Orthodox Church in Armenia. The church was built in 1912 for a Russian military regiment in the adjacent territory.

At the beginning of the twentieth century, by the order of Emperor Nicolás II, every military establishment had to work in the neighborhood of the church.The architect of the Kanaker church is Fyodor Verzbitsky, who presented a typical project of a military church in 1901 (there were 55 churches built byVerzbitsky’s project in Russia and outside, including in Gyumri, Kars, Baku).

The main architectural peculiarity is a large free space inside the temple, there are no columns, there is no dome in the center (it is above the altar).The central part is constructed in a way the military regiment can fit.The church's width is greater than the height, which is specific to the Russian military churches.The Kanaker church was built with red tuff stones widly spread in Armenia.

Русская церковь СурбАствацацин находится в Канакерском районе Еревана. Она считается основным храмом Русской Православной Церкви в Армении. Церковь была построена в 1912 году для российского военного полка на прилегающей территории.

В начале двадцатого века, по приказу императора Николая II, каждый военный должен был работать в окрестностях церкви. Архитектором церкви Канакер является Федор Верзбицкий, который представил типичный проект военной церкви в 1901 году (в России и за ее пределами было построено 55 церквей по проекту Верзбицкого, в том числе в Гюмри, Карс и Баку).

Главная архитектурная особенность - большое свободное пространство внутри храма, нет колонн, в центре нет купола (над алтарем). Центральная часть построена таким образом, чтобы военный полк мог поместиться. Ширина церкви больше высоты, характерной для российских военных церквей. Канакерская церковь была построена с красными туфскими камнями, широко распространенными в Армении.

During USSR years, starting from 1923 the church was closed, it became a warehouse, later a club for soldiers. Even dance evenings and film screenings were organized inside the church. Unfortunately, archive photos from that period were not found. (People say that during the Soviet era, statues of Lenin and Stalin were inside the temple).

After independence in 1991, the church was returned to the Russian Orthodox community. There is no clear statistics on the number of community members in Armenia.

During the USSR years, the dome and bell tower of the church that had benn turned into a club for soldiers, were destroyed, andthe buildinglooked like a chamber rather than a church.The dome, bell tower were rebuilt in 2000.

Во время СССР, начиная с 1923 года, церковь была закрыта, она стала складом, а позже и клубом для солдат. Внутри церкви были организованы даже танцевальные вечера и показы фильмов. К сожалению, архивные фотографии с этого периода не были найдены. (Говорят, что в советское время в храме были статуи Ленина и Сталина).

После обретения независимости в 1991 году церковь была возвращена в православную общину. Четкой статистики по количеству членов общины в Армении нет.

В годы СССР купол и колокольня церкви, превратившиеся в клуб для солдат, были разрушены, а здание выглядело как камера, а не церковь. Купол, колокольня были перестроены в 2000 году.

There are four priests and one deacon in the Church. One of the priests, Father Abe Abrahamyan, speaks with women visiting the church.

The staff of the Russian military unit has been moved from Qanaqer and has joined the 102nd military base in Gyumri. Now, most of the church's permanent visitors are seculars.

Most of the icons were painted by painter Yevgeny Mamikonyan living in Moscow. Andrey Rublev's copy of world-famous trilogy "Trinity" is in the highest and central position with some editions. Mamikonyan painted Mount Ararat in the background, pictured apricot trees instead of Bible oak and the collective image of Echmiadzin and other churches on the left.

В Церкви есть четыре священника и один диакон. Один из священников, отец Абэ Абраамян, говорит с женщинами, посещающими церковь.

Персонал российской воинской части был переведен из Канакера и присоединился к 102-й военной базе в Гюмри. Теперь большинство постоянных посетителей церкви - светские.

Большинство икон были написаны художником Евгением Мамиконяном, живущим в Москве. Копия всемирно известной трилогии Андрея Рублева «Троица» находится в самом высоком и центральном положении с некоторыми изданиями. Мамиконян нарисовал гору Арарат на заднем плане, изображенные абрикосовые деревья вместо библейского дуба и коллективный образ Эчмиадзина и других церквей слева.

Comments are closed.